Qualcomm to Acquire NUVIA for $1.4 billion
On Jan 13, 2021 Qualcomm Incorporated announced that its subsidiary, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire NUVIA for approximately $ 1.4 billion US dollars before working capital and other adjustments. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approval under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976, as amended.
This deal marks a big push by Qualcomm to reestablish its lead position in chip performance after several years of high-profile patent licensing litigation with rival Apple and regulatory authorities. Qualcomm is betting heavily on Nuvia, a two-year-old startup run by former Apple executives, to continue to bring more robust designs and energy-efficient data center chips.
- The addition of NUVIA CPUs to Qualcomm Technologies’ leading mobile graphics processing unit (GPU), AI engine, DSP and dedicated multimedia accelerators will further extend the leadership of Qualcomm Snapdragon platforms. The goal is to make Snapdragonthe preferred platform for of connected computing.
- Creating high performance, low-power processors and highly integratedcomplex SoCs willtake computing performance to a new level and drive new capabilities for products that serve multiple industries.
- Accelerating successful partnerships with OS providers for next-generation computing devices and enable Samsung and the mobile ecosystem to redefine the superior performance of smartphones.
- NUVIA CPUs are expected to be integrated across Qualcomm Technologies’ broad portfolio of products including: flagship smartphones, next-generation laptops, digital cockpits, and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems.
- Qualcomm is looking to leverage NUVIA’s CPUs to replace Arm’s current Cortex CPU IP to gain a competitive advantage in performance.Qualcomm has confidence that NUVIA’s CPU designs and its future roadmap will be competitive and potentially exceed that of Arm’s offerings.
- Qualcomm’s acquisition of Nuvia was met with strong support by their vast partner ecosystem including Microsoft, Google, Samsung, Acer, Asus, Panasonic, LG and many other companies.
Impacts to the Customers :
- This acquisition is an incredible opportunity to empower customers across the full Windows ecosystem. It brings innovation and the next level of premium mobile experiences, high-performance computing, and fast 5G connectivity to the market.
How will this Impact to your Business?
Mergers and Acquisitions are inevitable, SiliconExpert has the solutions to help you navigate the impact of these acquisitions. Contact us for a custom analysis of this M&A.
For more details on this post, please visit: